Data entry is simply the process of transferring the data collected on the questionnaires and putting them into a dataset on a computer. We have pre-prepared a data entry tool for your country using EpiInfo which we strongly recommend you use. Firstly, you should install EpiInfo – click here to go to the download page.
With this tool, you can enter the answers for all the wealth index questions. Below is a video explaining how to use this tool. Alternatively, the step by step process is written out in this article.
The key principle of good data entry is that preparing a good system avoids errors and headaches later. Here is how to make a good data entry system
- Have a simple coding system so that each questionnaire has a unique code on it. A good way to do this is have six digits – the first two identify the data collection team member, the second two digits identify the day of data collection and the last two digits are the respondent number on that day (e.g. that interviewer’s first respondent on that day would be 01 and so on).
- Keep the questionnaires filed tidily
- We strongly recommend that you use the data entry software provided in this toolkit. If you have added questions to the questionnaire, you can easily add the data entry fields to this tool. Once the data is entered, the data can be analysed within EpiInfo or exported to your preferred data analysis software. You can also create rules within the software to make sure that the data is correct. There is an instructional video to take you through how to set up the tool, modify it if required, enter data to it and then extract the data to whatever analysis software you are using
- The pre-prepared data entry tool will automatically process the data entered for each respondent and record which quintile they are in. It comes pre-loaded with the DHS data for your country.
- If you want to be very rigorous and iron out all data entry errors, you can have the data entered twice by two different data entry clerks. With EpiInfo you can then compare the datasets and it will find any differences and highlight them to you.